The 223,000 square-foot PECO Delaware Station (formerly known as the Delaware River Generating Station) is located in the Fishtown section of Philadelphia.
Designed by architect John T. Windrim in 1917 and built by Stone and Webster, the plant didn’t become operational until 1920. Additional generators were added over the years and it operated as a major electrical power plant until 2004.
The plant is now owned by Joe Volpe and Bart Blatstein, who bought the property for $3 million in August 2015. Plans have been devised to turn the site into an events space with a banquet hall, restaurants, guest rooms, and surface parking.
For additional historic photos and information about the plant, visit the following.